Sunday, August 3, 2008

Over the past few months, I have entered quite a number of phone-numbers in my mobile phonebook. No, I haven't made new friends. I have retained old ones. Many of my friends have shifted base. JU has become the university they used to study in, Kolkata, the place they'll return to , to spend their short vacations... perhaps or never at all. And I go on adding city names beside their names on my phonebook, entering their new phone-numbers, hoping they wouldn't become as alien as these new patterns of digits. It's hard to let go. It's harder to stay back and wait.

2 comments:

little boxes said...

i have the same feeling when i store my own numbers..."Self-cal","Self-Del"...its a weird sense of alienation,i know.

dryad said...

i just love how you said "kolkata is the place they'll return to"...i think it captures something very poignant...their absence only re-assures their return...if only for a visit!